Doris Day’s #1 hit “Que Sera, Sera” sampled by French hip-hop rapper Wax TailorJanuary 22, 2007 No Comments
In Spring 2006, I was out shopping in Toronto (Canada) and heard a club track playing, that to my surprise sampled Doris Day’s hit single “Que Sera, Sera”.
The question for me at the time was “what is this?”. This mystery was solved months later when I finally discovered it was a club track by the French rapper, composer, producer – Wax Tailor. Wax uses samples of music in his work like directors use actors.
In 2005, Tailor released his debut album ‘Tales of the Forgotten Melodies’. It’s hard to categorise what type of sound this album falls under as it embraces jazz, funk, soul, hip-hop and lounge. My advice is simply take a listen and make your own judgement. One thing that is apparent from start to finish is his debut reflects those influences that he loves from music and film through a patchwork of samples from stars names like Doris Day, Nina Simone, Stanly Kubrick, Woody Allen and Alfred Hitchcock. His new record also features several appearances from hip-hop band The Others, Charlotte Savary and French band Clover.
‘Tales of the Forgotten Melodies’ was released in North America during 2006 by Decon Inc with “Que Sera/Where My Heart’s At” as the lead single. Mixes by Deux Say and Wax Tailor are available on a scarce club 12″ single. The maxi single version was also released on digital-download in Europe.
- Que Sera (Single Version) 3.15
- Que Sera (Deux Say Remix) 3.27
- Live From Earth
- Dawn Tha Music Made My Day
- Where My Hearts At
- Where My Hearts At (WT in the days of old Remix)
- Where My Hearts At (WT in the days of old Remix – Instrumental)
- Behind The Curtain “Opening”
- Que Sera (featuring Doris Day) 2:44
- Ungodly Fruit
- Between Fellows
- Hypnosis Theme (Feat. Marina Quaisse)
- Damn That Music Made My Day
- Where My Heart’s At (Feat. The Others)
- Birth Of A Struggle
- Am I Free
- Ringing Score
- I Don’t Know
- Out Dance (Feat. Charlotte Savary)
- Stay Tuned
- Walk The Line (Feat. The Others)
- A Woman’s Voice
- Don’t You Remember
- How I Feel
- Behind The Disguise “Closing” (Feat. Marina Quaisse)