Doris Day contributes to her new “Christmas Memories” DVDOctober 9, 2008 No Comments
Christmas TV shows, rare music and newsreel footage plus commentary from Doris.
I sat down last night to review this special “Christmas” DVD release from MPI Home Video. I actually found myself quite charmed by its content. I may not be an avid fan of Doris’s television sitcom but I did actually thoroughly enjoy the three selected holiday episodes from her show which of course have a festive story line (notably these have all been newly remastered directly from original 35mm negatives for this dvd).
What really put a smile on my face was watching the 1970 episode “It’s Christmas Time In The City” which now benefits from all-new audio commentary from Doris. It was such a joy to hear Doris chatting candidly to the DVD Producer Jim Pierson about this particular episode. It also becomes apparent as she watches scene after scene just how much she too is enjoying seeing her co-stars and reminisces of those very happy days from her past. It’s soooo cute!
The next treat comes in form of all the special features. As ever with the MPI DVD releases I found myself captivated by these. I got to see for the first ever time many rare black & white 1950s-60s newsreels of Doris giving public announcements, attending award ceremonies and various movie premiers. Also included are some pretty audio recordings of Doris singing many holiday favourites whilst a slide show of obscure photographs is shown on screen.
This excellent Christmas stocking filler is released in North America on the 28 October 2008. Sadly there are NO international releases for this DVD currently planned. The good news is the American pressing is a REGION FREE DVD!
MPI Home Video USA
Order the DVD from amazon.com
- “A Two Family Christmas” (from Season 2)
- “It’s Christmas Time In The City” (from Season 3)
- “Whodunnity, Doris?” (from Season 4)
- 1950s-1960s newsreels of Doris Day — including Christmas footage — not seen in decades — plus Doris visiting needy children with gifts at Christmas, talking with servicemen outside the soundstage of Young at Heart promoting toys for tots and others;
- Long-lost holiday broadcasts of The Doris Day Show radio series featuring performances of “Silent Night” and “Hark The Herald Angels Sing” (taken from two December 1952 shows on the CBS radio network);
“Silent Night” music video with a holiday themed slide show of Doris Day photographs;
- Original network promos for The Doris Day Show (including one promoting the series to fans in Toronto, Canada) and a special Christmas greeting from Doris.
- Featured also are more audio recordings of Doris singing Silver Bells and other holiday favourites (taken from the TV shows and radio material listed).