A DAY-lightful new Doris Day CD of her RARE 1950s radio show duetsJuly 11, 2017 No Comments
On general sale now is, ‘Day Time on the Radio – Lost Radio Duets from the Doris Day Show (1952-1953)‘.
Well we just received in the post this uniquely themed, new 30 track CD compiles rare duets from darling Doris’ popular CBS Radio series, “The Doris Day Show”. The fun filled radio series broadcast between March 1952 and May 1953 was recorded in Hollywood in front of a live audience.
What is so special about the series is Doris was so often joined by her showbiz friends and other special guests from her hit movies of the time. Better still Doris would then perform duets with these stars which otherwise had not been commercially recorded. The best of these magical duets have now been lovingly re-mastered and restored from original 16 inch transcription discs for this must-have 2017 US CD release.
“The Doris Day Show” radio series was mostly comprised of Doris’ solo Columbia Record releases played during the half-hour programs. In addition, many other solo song performances by Doris were heard for the first time that were recorded in a batch of 32 “transcription recordings” Doris made strictly for radio broadcast. Those songs have subsequently appeared on numerous vinyl album and CD releases and include such selections as “I Could Write A Book”, “Stardust” and “My Blue Heaven”. However, there is one solo song by Doris, a rendition of the Teresa Brewer US hit “Till I Waltz Again With You” that was only ever heard once on “The Doris Day Show” on radio and was never released. It now appears here on CD for the first time as a bonus track on “Day Time On The Radio”.
The standout moments from this release is Doris’ rendition of Irving Berlin’s “You’re Just In Love” with Van Johnson and several duets with Doris’ regular leading man Gordon MacRae. The finishing touch to this project is a booklet containing detailed notes and rare publicity photos including images of Doris recording and rehearsing the radio show with guests.
The CD was released earlier this year as a fund-raiser for Doris Day Animal Foundation and to commemorate Doris’ 95th birthday.
DAY TIME ON THE RADIO – Lost Radio Duets from the Doris Day Show (1952-1953)
Label: Real Gone Music
Order from amazon.com
- It’s Magic (The Doris Day Show Radio Opening)
- A Wooin’ We Will Go – with Howard Keel
- The Love Nest – with Gordon MacRae
- You’re Just in Love – with Van Johnson
- Ma Says, Pa Says – with Broderick Crawford & Don Wilson
- Dearie – with Dan Dailey
- Life Will Be Peaches & Cream – with Tony Martin
- Red Hot Henry Brown – with Kirk Douglas
- I Will Marry You – with john Agar
- By the Light of the Silvery Moon – with Gordon MacRae
- A Kiss Like This – with Alan Young
- Merrily Song – with Donald O’Connor
- Take Me Out to the Ball Game – with Ronald Reagan & Bob Crosby
- I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles – with Jack Smith
- Tea For Two – with Gordon MacRae
- We’re in Love – with Broderick Crawford
- My Darling, My Darling – with Frank Loesser
- Around the Corner – with Marais & Miranda
- Wait Till the Sun Shines Nellie – with George Jessel
- Little by Little – with Walter O’Keefe
- Something Sort of Grandish – with David Wayne
- You’re My Peaches & Cream – with David Butler
- Together – with Don Wilson
- I’ll Be Seeing You – with George Murphy
- Ma Says, Pa Says – with Marais & Miranda and Gordon MacRae
- I’m Gonna Mend My Fences – with Howard Keel
- Cuddle Up a Little Closer/Till We Meet Again – with Gordon MacRae
- Jingle Bells – with Jimmy Boyd/Hark! The Herald Angels Sing – with Jack Kirkwood & Don Wilson
- Love to Be with You (The Doris Day Show Radio Closing)
- Till I Waltz Again with You – Doris Day solo (Bonus Track)