The actress and singer Doris Day is one of the few surviving stars of Hollywood’s golden age. She made her debut in show-business in 1939 and gave her final screen appearance in 1986 hosting her own TV chat show. Thereafter, she retired from the limelight to focus her attention on her two animal welfare organisations.
The “Discovering Doris” website enables you to do just that. You’ll find over 200 pages of information here about Ms. Day’s career as a singer and actress. Yes – that’s right folks everything from Ms. Day’s music career of over 600 songs, culminating in 28 original albums and 76 charting singles (30 of these were “Top 20″ American hit singles – many were also charted world-wide) to her work as an actress of 39 motion pictures, two television variety specials and 154 episodes of two television series.
Our hope is that by the time you finish exploring this website you will have an all-new understanding of Ms. Day:
- the GRAMMY award winning recording artist;
- the biggest selling International Female Recording Artist of the 1950s;
- the most successful American Female Movie Star of the late 1950s and early 1960s;
- the six times Golden Globe award winning actress;
- the Animal Welfare campaigner and friend to all our four-legged friends.
This website would also like to thank everyone who has supported it and crucially continued to visit it since the 30 May 1998. You are one of the main reasons why we continue developing this website and we hope you continue to enjoy discovering Doris as much as we have.
Love to you all,
The team at ‘Discovering Doris’